Immediately outside the gates of Dresden, Augustus the Strong, King of Poland and Elector of Saxony, had commissioned the building of the Riverside and Hillside Palaces (1720-1724) according to the plans of Matthaeus Daniel Poeppelmann. Thus he laid the foundation stone for Europe’s largest chinoise castle complex, which became the summer residence of the Saxon royal court in 1868 under Frederick Augustus the Righteous.
The park of Pillnitz Castle is well-known for its abundance of botanical treasures, such as the more than 230-year-old camellia, about 400 potted plants and precious old trees.
Three palaces - two museums
Learn more about our exhibitions in the New Palace and the Riverside and Hillside Palaces of Pillnitz Castle.
The Pillnitz Camellia (Camellia japonica L.)
The Camellia, a genus in the tea plant family (Theaceae), originates from Southeast and East Asia. Tea plants are evergreen shrubs or small trees of which about 82 varieties are known.
The Palm House
The legendary greenhouse presents plants from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand on 660 square meters.
The history of Pillnitz Castle & Park
Augustus the Strong had once made Pillnitz Manor a present to Countess Cosel, his mistress, and celebrated his Baroque festivities there. There were scores of occasions and mottos in abundance: capercaillie and heron hawking, saint's days, birthdays, shooting contests, country weddings, water fowl hunting, grape harvest and vintners’ festivals.