Once a pleasure palace and later summer residence of the Saxon royals, it used to be the venue for many weddings and festivities back in Augustus the Strong’s time. Museums moved into the Palace in the 20th century and the Palace Park is the city’s most beautiful recreational resort for both Dresdeners and tourists from all over the world.
Situated only about 15 km from the city center of the Saxon state capital of Dresden, the Pillnitz Palace & Park is regarded one of the most important chinoise palace estates throughout Europe. The ensemble of architecture and landscaping lies before the backdrop of the vineyards, harmoniously embedded in the riverscape of the Elbe River valley. With such diversity, it is thought to be a perfect destination for lovers of culture and gardens and for families.
Immediately outside the gates of Dresden, Augustus the Strong, King of Poland and Elector of Saxony, had commissioned the building of the Riverside and Hillside Palaces (1720-1724) according to the plans of Matthaeus Daniel Poeppelmann. Thus he laid the foundation stone for Europe’s largest chinoise palace complex, which became the summer residence of the Saxon royal court in 1868 under Frederick Augustus the Righteous.
The park of Pillnitz Palace is well-known for its abundance of botanical treasures, such as the more than 230-year-old camellia, about 400 potted plants and precious old trees.
Three Palaces – Two Museums
The palace ensemble in its extraordinary chinoise design is structured by three palaces: the New Palace houses the Palace Museum today, whereas the Riverside and Hillside Palaces accommodate the Museum of Decorative Arts.
A more than 230-year-old mystery
Every year, from mid-February to mid-April, the Pillnitz camellia breaks into full bloom with tens of thousands of carmine flowers. How old this impressive plant really is and where it comes from remains uncertain unto this day.
Exotica from South Africa and Australia
The Palm House
The Palm House shelters exotic plants from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand and is regarded a »Glasshouse Paradise« on the palace estate. For more than 150 years, it has impressed people for its unique cast steel and glass design.