The Camellia

The Camellia in close-up

Carmesin blossoms of the Camellia
Carmesin blossoms of the Camellia

Legend has it that Swedish botanist Karl Peter Thunberg brought four camellia plants back from his journey to Japan to the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew near London in 1779. One specimen remained in Kew, whereas the other three are said to have been passed on to Hanover, Schoenbrunn and Pillnitz. If that is true, the Pillnitz Camellia would be the only surviving plant. Latest genetic research cannot prove this Thunberg legend, but have unfortunately not yet been able to clarify its genuine origin. But this fact is for sure: in 1801 Court Gardener Terscheck planted the Camellia in the place where it is still today. It is estimated to be 230 years old.

The Camellia House rests on rails, which is pushed over the Camellia during the winter season.
The Camellia House rests on rails, which is pushed over the Camellia during the winter season.

Meanwhile, the Camellia has reached a height of 8.60 meters and has a diameter of almost 11 meters. During its time of blossom from mid-February to April, tens of thousands of bell-shaped carmine flowers. Visitors can then admire the Camellia from two floors all around the inside of the glasshouse. Offsets of the fabled plant are sold every year during that time – a small, but very special piece to take home from Pillnitz.

Milde climate in the cold season

Since then, the tea plant from Sout-East and East Asia has been protected in winter. In the beginning saved from the cold by sophisticated wood and glass structures, a new, movable protective housing was built in 1992. It controls temperature, ventilation, humidity and shading, is 13.2 meters in diameter/high and weighs 54 tons. When it becomes warmer, the Camellia House is rolled beside the plant.

The fabled arrival of the Camellia

Pillnitz Palace and Park

August-Böckstiegel-Straße 2 | 01326 Dresden

Property of State Palaces, Castles and Gardens of Saxony, non profit

+49 (0) 351 2613-260
pillnitz@schloesserland-sachsen.de

Opening Hours and Ticket Rates

Opening Hours:

The Camellia House is open during its time of blossom from mid-February to mid-April

  • daily täglich
  • from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm

The day ticket »Park Pillnitz« icludes admission to Camellia House.

Ticket Rates:

  • 2,00 €
  • reduced 1,00 €
  • group rate 1,50 €

Opening hours

Pillnitz Park

  • is open all year round from 6:00 am to nightfall.
  • Admission fees charged: Apr 1 -Nov 5, 2017 | daily from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

The Museums

  • Apr 29-Nov 5, 2017: Tue to Sun and on public holidays from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
  • Guided tours of the Palace Museum take place during the winter season on every weekend on the hour between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.

The Palm House

  • is open all year round:
  • Nov 2, 2016 to Mar 31, 2017 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Apr 1 to Nov 5, 2017 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

 The Camellia House

  •  is open daily during its time of blossom from mid-February to mid-April
  • from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm

The Visitor Center »Old Guard House«

  • is open all year round:Nov 2, 2016 to Mar 31, 2017 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Apr 1 to Nov 5, 2017 from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

Subject to modifications.